Convert Your Old Word File (DOC) to New Format (DOCX)
In the latest version of Microsoft Word, Excel or the PowerPoint or Office 2016, the Compatibility mode option is the newly added feature. When you go to the title bar, you will get the Compatibility Mode. By just using this feature, you will be able to change the appearance of the documents.
But if you are using the outdated version of Office 365 or Word 2019, then you won’t be able to use it. In that case, you need to update the application to avail of the Compatibility Mode so that the Word documents get compatible with the operating system.
What is Word Compatibility Mode?
When you are creating any Word documents in Office 365 or Word 2019, it is created in the modern Format. But enabling the Compatibility mode in the older version of the Office or Word will help you get the modern documents in the same format. You will get the document as it was created in the latest version of the Word or Office.
How to Enable the Compatibility Mode in Word
By just enabling the Compatibility mode, you will be able to see the modern formatted documents. To enable the Compatibility mode in the older version of the Word or Office follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the Microsoft Word and then go to the File Section.
- Next, tap on the Info section and click on the “Check for Issues” option.
- Now, tap on the Check Compatibility option. Make sure the “Select Version For Show” box is checked.
- Choose the version of the Microsoft Word that you currently use.
Tap on the “OK” button next, and you will be able to enable the Compatibility Mode. Now, you need to move to the next section to know the procedure of converting the older documents into a modern type of Word Documents.
Procedure to Convert old formatted document into the New Format
If you are using the older version of the Word or Office, you can easily convert the old formatted files into the new format. You just need to update the new version of Word and then use the Compatibility mode to convert those files.
To convert the documents, you just need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- After creating the documents in Microsoft Word, you need to right-click on that document that you want to convert.
- Choose the “Open With” option when you open the document in Microsoft Word.
- This will help you to open the files in the correct software.
- After opening the documents, tap on the File section. Next, choose any tab that is showing the Info.
- Tap on the “Convert” option next. A dialog box will appear on the screen next.
- Click on the “Tell me More” option and if you don’t want to check the future conversions, you need to mark the checkbox.
- Tap on the Ok button to confirm the action. This will start the conversion.
You can also upgrade the documents using the Save menu of Microsoft Word. Open the document, tap on the File section and click on the “Save as” option.
Next, from the drop-down menu choose the Word Documents. Tap on the ‘Save’ option to get those documents. By doing this, you will be able to create a completely fresh copy of the document based on the latest updated software of Word.