Office System Service Disabled? Try These Salient Ways
Microsoft Office is your one-stop destination whether you are an employee or a student. Microsoft Office offers you top-notch tools to work with. You need to install the Microsoft Office when it doesn’t come preinstalled with your system.
Sometimes, you might need to download the updates after certain intervals to improve the performance of the Microsoft Office. We have encountered many users who have faced a specific error while installing or updating the application. The error says that “Office ran into a problem because its system service is disabled”. Let’s see what you can do to recover from the error of Office system service disabled.
Reasons Behind Office System Service Disabled:
Whenever you install the application Microsoft Office or update the same application, a service must run. The name of the service is the Office Source Engine. This service must run as a background service.
If this service stops to run then you might face this error. The Office System service gets disabled. You need to enable the system service again to get rid of the error.
Solutions to Office System Service Disabled:
We have gathered all the possible known solutions to fix the ‘Office system service disabled’ issue. Many users got benefitted from all these verified fixes. Let’s continue with the popular fixes.
Fix 1: Check Whether the Service Is Not Active
When you are getting such an error message, it’s better to go through this fix at first. You have to check manually if the service is running in the background or not. Follow these simple steps to overcome the error while installing or updating Microsoft Office.
- Press and hold Win+R simultaneously to launch the Run dialog box.
- Fill it with ‘services.msc’ and click on Ok.
- This will launch the Services window on your system.
- Look out for the ‘Microsoft Office Click-to-run service’. Click on it.
- Check the status of this service. If it shows Disabled then you need to right-click on the service.
- Go to Properties option. You have to click on the Startup type under the General tab. Fix the Startup type to either Automatic or Manual.
- Click on the Apply button followed by Ok.
After you have performed all the steps, you need to install or update the Office tool again. Check if the error still appears.
Fix 2: Use Register Office Validator
You can use Register Office Validator key to get rid of the error instantly. If the previous fix fails then this fix is a must-try. Follow the below guidelines to successfully overcome the error.
- Press Win+R keys from the keyboard, simultaneously.
- This has launched the Run dialog box on the system.
- You need to type ‘regsvr Officevalidator.dll’ and hit Enter key.
The error should have gone away. If the error persists, you can try to log in to your Microsoft Office by using a new user account.
Fix 3: Reinstall Office
When you are still encountering the ‘Office system service disabled’ issue, again and again, you can try this fix. Well, you are pretty aware of how to reinstall office. Yet, we have provided the way you should follow to uninstall and reinstall the Office.
- Press Win+R keys from the keyboard at the same time to launch the Run window.
- Fill it with ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter.
- Next, choose Microsoft Office from the list of installed applications.
- Then, tap on the Uninstall button to uninstall Microsoft office.
- After you have uninstalled the application, you have to go to the official website of Microsoft Office.
You need to download the latest version of the Microsoft Office suite and run the package. Lastly, you have to follow on-screen instructions to complete the reinstallation.
Fix 4: Deactivate the Antivirus
If you use some third-party antivirus software then you can try this fix. This simple trick can save you from this error even when all the three fixes went in vain. You need to disable the real-time scanning of the antivirus you are using. Check if it recovers you from the error.
Fix 5: Modify Proxy Settings
Maybe, your computer has some enabled proxy that is restricting to install or update the Microsoft Office on your device. It’s better if you look out if there’s an issue with the proxy settings on your device. It is advised to disable proxies to get a successful installation or update of Microsoft Office. Follow the guidelines below to eradicate the error.
- Press Win key from the keyboard. While holding the Win key, press the R key to launch the Run box.
- Now, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter.
- Continue to Connection under Network options.
- Choose LAN settings.
- Uncheck the Proxy option.
- Click on the Apply button followed by OK.
Once you have performed all the above-stated steps, you have to download the update and installation of Microsoft Office. Check if the error still persists.
Hopefully, the article helped you to recover from the ‘Office system service disabled’ issue. If the error is still there, you can perform a disk clean up on Windows operating windows. Additionally, you can disable Windows Defender Firewall until you get the Office installed or updated. We recommend that you should not keep the firewall turned off for a long duration.