How to Uninstall MS Office from Mac
Microsoft Office is a software package of highly used software for daily use. Lately, these have been made available for Mac as well. However, Microsoft Office for Mac is not exactly useful as opposed to the Windows operating system. Therefore, here we will discuss how to uninstall Office from Mac.
Most of the shortcut keys of Microsoft Office don’t work on Mac. As a result, it comes with fewer features and may not work efficiently. Hence, Microsoft Office is better suited for the Windows platform only.
However, most of the activities carried out in an office or business is done using Microsoft Office. Therefore, it can be useful to install Microsoft Office for Mac. Also, it helps to promote multi-platform functionality among its users.
Consecutively, it also suffers from problems when trying to update in a macOS. Thus, you have to uninstall Office from Mac before trying to install the latest version of Office.
Steps to Uninstall Office from Mac:
Firstly, you need to ensure that you’re logged in to your system as an Administrator. The following steps may or may not work depending on your Admin privileges. Therefore, you should log out and log in as an Administrator before following the given steps.
You can create a new Admin account if you currently don’t have one. Follow these steps below to create and login to a new admin account.
- Click on the Apple icon on the top. Next, click on System Preferences.
- Go to ‘Users and Groups’ and click on the Lock icon to open the preferences window.
- Next, click on the small ‘+’ symbol located just above the lock icon. Click on the drop-down menu beside New Account and select ‘Administrator’.
- Fill out the necessary details as you like. You may even set up a password if you want to. This will help to protect the account from unauthorized access from your visitors.
- Finally, click on the Create Account button after you’ve filled the details. Subsequently, log out and log in to the Administrator account.
Admin privileges will help you to successfully uninstall Office from Mac. Additionally, you need to follow the steps in their particular order.
Step 1 – Remove from Applications
First, you have to remove the Office suite from the applications list. You can do this by following the given steps.
- Click on the Finder option from the top bar. Here, you have to select Applications.
- Now, press and hold the command key. Subsequently, select all the Microsoft Office essentials from the applications list. This includes Word, Powerpoint, Outlook and others.
- Next, press the Ctrl key and click on them. Subsequently, select the option to ‘Move to Trash’.
Step 2 – Remove from Library
The second step is to remove their system files from the library. Moving them to trash isn’t enough. Thus, you need to follow the steps below to remove it from the library. This will help to effectively uninstall Office from Mac.
- Click on the Finder option from the top menu bar. Next, press the Command key along with the Shift and the letter ‘G’ on your keyboard.
- Here, type ‘~/library’ and press enter or click on Go.
- Select the following list of folders.
- It is important to note that you may not find all of the folders mentioned above. Next, press and hold the Ctrl key and click on them. Choose the ‘Move to Trash’ option.
- Afterward, go back to the Library folder. Find and open the Containers folder. Here, you have to select the following folders.
- Finally, press the Ctrl key and select them. Subsequently, select ‘Move to Trash’.
Step 3 – Remove from Dock
Lastly, you need to follow this step if you have saved Office’s applications on your dock. Go through the last few points if you haven’t.
- Press the Ctrl key and click on the applications one by one to ‘Move to trash’.
- Next, click no your Trash and empty it. This will remove Microsoft Office for Mac from your system.
- Finally, restart your system to complete the whole process.
To summarize, you should be able to uninstall Office from Mac by the end of this informative guide. There are many third-party tools to automatically uninstall applications from Mac. However, you should not use them as it may contain potential viruses or malware to infect your computer.
Moreover, you can download the latest version of Microsoft Office for Mac from its official website.