Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004: Wipe It Away At Your Convenience
Windows Defender is a free in-built antivirus and antimalware software of Windows. It helps to protect the system from unwanted software and has an ability to fight against unauthorized access. But, some users often report that they encounter an unwanted error 0x80004004 when they try to update the Windows Defender. Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 strikes usually when you try to use more than one real-time security product at the same time for your device. So, if you are already running another security product you might need to turn Windows Defender off. If this error will strike your device, the programs of the system will open slower and its response times will lag. When you have multiple applications running, you may experience crashes and freezes. So, you need to solve this program to get rid of these annoying issues.
Hazards you may face with the error code 0x80004004
Some of the common problems you may face while Windows Defender error message will appear on the screen are as follows:
- Installation process fastened after some time and some programs become unresponsive.
- Your device will freeze often and the running apps crash automatically.
- The programs of the system open slower and the hardware fails to give a response.
- Active webpages start to crash.
Factors Behind the Windows Defender 0x80004004
This critical error will occur when the OS of your device is corrupted. There are numerous reasons for this Windows Defender error message which are listed below.
- Damaged drivers.
- Outdated drivers.
- Corrupt registry files.
- Poor internet connection.
- Installation of any third-party antiviruses.
- Use of a third-party antivirus without turning off the Windows Defender
- Unexpectedly aborting any software process.
- Virus or malware attack.
- Misconfiguration in the Microsoft security essentials
- Try to enable or disable the Windows Defender continuously.
Effective Hacks to Fix Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 Quickly
There are a lot of hacks to resolve this error effectively. So, we have a suggestion to follow all the solutions to get rid of the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. Skipping any methods, may let you still face this troublesome issue. So, follow all the methods one by one to solve this irritating update error:
Hack #1: Check the internet connection
The first thing, you have to do is just check the internet connectivity with your system. A poor internet connection can cause the updating and installing error. So, just follow this easy method first to get rid of this issue:
- First of all, check the Ethernet cable. If it is defective, then replace it.
- The port of the Ethernet may be damaged, so check it first.
- Check the wifi-signal. A poor signal can cause this error. So, change the network settings.
If the internet signal is strong enough, then there may be other issues which hampering your work on your device.
Hack #2: Remove the virus-infected files
Virus, spyware, malware corrupt the application program and the system files. Without removing such type of files, you can’t able to resolve Windows Defender issues permanently. So, first, remove these files to perform any other methods. You can do so this way:
- First, download antivirus software and install it.
- Then, install and launch it.
- Now, go for the Scan option. We suggest you to go for the Full scan. It will scan the whole system.
- It will take some minutes to an hour to locate the virus-infected files.
- When the process is completed, you will find ‘Disinfect’ option which will help you to remove the virus infected folders and files.
- Restart your device.
If this method doesn’t click for your problem. Don’t panic. Just perform all the other methods.
Hack #3: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
This is one of the most effective hacks to solve any problem with Windows. So, go through these easy steps to troubleshoot the Windows Update:
- First, press the Windows key and X key together on the keyboard at the same time.
- Now, go to the Control Panel.
- Type troubleshooting.
- After that, choose ‘View All’.
- At the bottom of the screen, you can find ‘Windows Update’.
- Follow the instructions appeared on the screen to finish this process.
Check, the Windows Defender error still persists or not.
Hack #4: Remove the junk files
Junk files are created when you use your device for a long time. The junk files overload the Hard Disk. So, delete the junk files to make enough disk space. Hope, it will solve this update error. Follow these below steps to remove the junk files.
- Open menu by pressing the Windows key and the X keys together on the keyboard.
- Now, go to Command Prompt section.
- After that, run it as Administrator.
- Type “cleanmgr”, and then press the Enter key to run the tool.
- It will show the temp files and junk files on the screen.
- Press OK to delete the junk files from the system.
Hack #5: Update the device driver
Device driver is very important to build a connection between the application or software with the system. So, first, check that the driver of your device is updated with the latest version. The corrupted or outdated driver can cause this error.
- First, open the Run box and then type “devicemgr” and press the Enter key. It will help you to open the Device Manager.
- Here, you can see all the installed hardware devices. Check which device needs an update.
- Click on such devices and go for ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Click Yes. It will take some minutes.
- After completing the process, restart your device in normal mode.
Check if this issue still persist or not.
Hack #6: Set the Windows Defender service to Automatic
This error may be fixed by changing the settings of the Windows Defender service. So, set this in the Automatic Mode. It will solve all the Windows Defender associated issues. So, it’s worth a try.
- First, open the Cortana. Go for the option ‘Run as Administrator’.
- A service tab will appear on the screen. Enter a passcode for logging in.
- Choose to Continue.
- Find ‘Windows Defender Service’.
- Open the settings page of this service.
- Set it to Automatic from Disabled format.
- At last, just click Apply, and then Ok.
- Restart your device to apply the changes.
Hack #7: Run the SFC scan
Incomplete update or installation can create this issue in Windows Defender. The SFC scan helps to replace or repair the corrupted files. So, you can perform this ‘System File Checker’ scan to overcome from this issue.
To complete the SFC Scan, you need to follow the steps.
- First, right click on the Start Menu and go to the Command Prompt section.
- Type ‘sfc/scannow’ in Command Prompt screen and press the Enter Key on the Keyboard.
- The SFC scan will start the process of scanning. Don’t cancel the scan process until it finishes completely. After scanning, it will show the corrupt files of your device.
- Type this command “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”.
- You can find the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file.
Hack #8: Reinstall the pending updates
Most of the users reported that the pending updates cause this installation error. So, to reinstall such updates you have to perform these steps one by one.
- First of all, open the Run box.
- Now, type ‘update’. Select ‘Check For Updates’ option.
- In this option, you will find all the recent installed applications.
- Go for ‘Uninstalled updates’ option.
- Find out the pending update applications and update one by one. It will help you to get rid of this error.
- After completing, reboot the Windows and check if the error 0x80004004 fixes up or not.
Hack #9: Run System Restore
If you unknowingly remove a file from the System files, then it will lead to the error 0x80004004.
Windows Defender can’t update for missing its setup files. So, to resolve this issue permanently, just follow the below steps.
- Go to Start on the left of your screen and select the Settings option.
- Choose the Recovery icon. It will invoke another window will appear on the screen.
- Choose System Restore.
- After that, choose the date when the system worked properly without any hazards. Launch it. The tool will run.
- Wait for sometime. After finishing this process, the device will be restarted automatically.
Hack #10: Perform the CHKDSK Utility
This in-built tool will help to enhance the performance of the system. A damaged Hard Drive can be the cause of this error code 0x80004004. You can run ‘Check Disk utility’ to check the Disk Status.
- First, open the Command Prompt section in the ‘Administrator’ mode and type this code:
“chkdsk X: /f /r”.
Hit the Enter key on the keyboard just after that.
- Wait for 5-6 minutes to complete this whole process.
Now, check whether the problem is gone or not.
Hack #11: Disable the third-party antivirus
Installed third-party security programs can also create this error code. If you use more than one security services, then this will be the quick trick to resolve this issue. If you run this third-party software without disabling the Windows Defender, then this error will occur. So, disable the antivirus software temporarily and then try to update the Windows Defender. When the update process is done, enable this antivirus again.
We hope, this article will help you to find the major reasons for the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 and save the System from the harmful effects of virus and malware. If you have any question regarding this, you can take a guide from our experts by phone.