Effective Solutions for Windows Update Error Code 80072F8F
While working on Windows, we generally receive a lot of errors that can hamper our task. And one of the prominent error that users are generally coming across is the error 80072f8f. This error is not specific to any version of Windows. While updating Windows, this error generally pops up on the screen and as a result, the secure socket layer connection in between the Microsoft server and WU the error is generated on your computer. Hence, in this article, we are going to provide the best possible ways to fix the Windows Update Error Code 80072F8F.
Possible causes for Windows Update error code 80072F8F
We receive this error primarily due to the problem with the SSL connection between the Microsoft server and WU. But there are some other reasons as well due to which we receive the Windows Update error code 80072F8F. Let’s have a look at them:
- If the date and time on your computer are not proper then you might receive this error.
- Due to the invalid proxy settings on your computer.
- If the root certificate is missing on your computer then you might receive this error on your computer.
- The corrupted system files are one of the possible reason.
- In many cases, due to the corrupted registry files, you might face problem in updating Windows.
- This error is generated on our computer due to the uninstalled updates on our computer.
Step-by-step Guidelines to resolve Windows could not search for new Updates 80072F8F
In case you are not aware of the exact process to resolve this error, do not worry. Try out the effective steps to resolve the Windows could not search for net updates 80072F8F successfully.
- Setting the Correct Time and Date.
- Checking the Invalid Proxy Settings.
- Removing the junk files.
- Installing the pending updates.
- Re-registering the DLL files.
- Disabling the Firewall
Setup Correct Time and Date
Follow the steps to set the correct time and date on your computer:
- Press the Windows key and the letter R together from the keyboard.
- Then, in the Run window type ‘timedate.cpl’ and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, choose the tab Date and Time and click on Change date and time and change the time and date.
- Next, choose the option OK and return to the Date and Time window.
- After that, choose the tab Change time zone and then adjust the time zone.
- Thereafter, click on Apply and further click OK to exit to the main window.
Check the Invalid Proxy Settings
Go through the guidelines to check the invalid proxy settings:
- Press the Windows key and the letter R simultaneously on the keyboard.
- Then, type the command ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in the Run window and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Next, click on connections and further choose the option LAN settings.
- Now, check whether there is a tick mark beside the box Proxy Server. If it is ticked then uncheck it and click on OK.
- After that, in the Internet Properties window choose the option Apply.
- Finally, restart your computer and try to update the Windows on your computer.
Removing the Junk Files
Go through the steps to remove the junk files on your computer:
- At first, press the Windows logo key and the letter X on the keyboard and choose Command Prompt(Admin) from the list.
- After that, click on Yes when prompted.
- Then, in the Command Prompt type cleanmgr and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Now, it will check the junk files on your computer at first and then remove it.
- Finally, click on OK and return to the home screen on your computer.
Installing the pending updates
Follow the guidelines to install the pending updates:
- Click on the Windows symbol from the left corner of the computer screen.
- Then. in the search panel type ‘Update’ and press the Enter key.
- Now, for any pending updates in the present window.
- After that, right-click on updates one by one and click on Update the same.
- After installing the updates reboot your computer to resolve the error.
Re-registering the DLL files
To re-register the DLL files follow the steps:
- Press, the Windows key from the keyboard and type Command Prompt’ and right-click on it.
- Then, choose the option Run as administrator and click on Continue.
- Now, in the Command Prompt type ‘regsvr32 Softpub.dll/s’ and press the Enter key.
- After that, type the commands ‘regsvr32 Initpki.dll/s’, ‘regsvr32 Wintrust.dll/s’ and ‘regsvr32 Mssip32.dll/s’ one by one and press the Enter key after each method.
- Once, the commands are executed reboot your computer and check whether the error is resolved.
Disabling the Firewall
Go through the steps to disable the Firewall on your computer:
- Press the Windows key and the letter R from the keyboard.
- Then, type ‘firewall.cpl’ in the run window and press the Enter key.
- Next, choose the option Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or Off.
- After that, disable both the Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings.
- Finally, exit out to the main home screen and update Windows on your computer to check whether the issue is resolved.
Go through this article to resolve the issue efficiently. Implement the methods correctly one by one to fix the Windows could not search for net updates 80072F8F issue efficiently.